What Is Your Number One Priority?January 22, 2023
What Is Your Number One Priority?
Pastor Terry Wilcox
John 21:15-17; 21-22
The restoration of Peter required heart surgery.
John 21:21 – “more than these?”
, boats, , home? Perhaps, do you love me more than ?
The context is chapters 18-21.
The Triple By-Pass
- John 21:15 – Jesus used the Greek word “agape”
He cuts through the of others.
In Peter’s reply, Peter used the Greek word “philia.”
It’s used in I Corinthians 16:22. “If anyone does not love the Lord, let that person be cursed.”
“Philia” means .
Jesus’ response, “Feed my lambs.”
- John 21:16 – Jesus clarifies, I am not asking if you have brotherly affection for me, I’m asking for your . “Agape” is love.
Jesus’ response, “Take care of my sheep.”
- John 21:17 – Amazingly, Jesus asks a third time, only he uses “philia.
“Do you have a friendship love for me”
John 21:17 says this third cut into Peter’s heart “hurt.”
Jesus’ response, “Feed my sheep.”
Peter’s honesty results in Jesus restoring Peter
John 21:19b, “Then he said to him, ‘follow me.'”
Priority one (before serving) is .
Jesus proclaimed the same priority in Matthew 22:37-39.
Jesus used three direct questions, Peter made three declarations.
Jesus gave him three commands, and Peter was .
All measurements of ministry success are subservient to .
Believing loving God is priority liberates from:
a. The tyranny of statistics.
b. Comparison with .
c. Other things.
d. The of exclusivity.
How Do We Get There?
- Be ruthlessly with yourself and God.
- Word and .
Faithfulness is not . See Luke 15:28-31
- Cultivate heart with the Spirit of Jesus.