Where Does Your Help Come From?January 24, 2021
Where Does Your Help Come From?
Pastor Terry Wilcox
The Hebrew word for “help” is ezer, which pertains to , , and .
Psalm 121 is the sequel to Psalm 120 which gets us started on the way of Christ through the gateway of .
Two Common Errors of Those on the Road Toward God
- God will us from the of life in this world.
- When bad things happen to us, we think God has us.
What About the Mountains?
- To me: beautiful, majestic, and steadfast
- But 3,000 years ago, the Hebrews practiced pagan worship on the hilltops.
The psalmists’ question is: “Does your help come from Baal, or Asherah, or the sun , or the priestess?”
The answer is: “NO! My strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth, and the mountains.”
They Faced Three Areas of Risk
- “Foot slipping” =
- Psalm 121:6 “sun will not harm you” =
- The moon = ancient writers called it “moonstroke”, in modern times it called life’s pressures, emotional distress, anxiety
Psalm 121 rejects the worship of nature, stars, and mountains.
Our help comes from the , not the !
The Bible is realistic and honest, it does not suggest that we are exempt from life’s difficulties.
What the Bible does promise is our from Satan and the evil in this world.
I Corinthians 10:13
Five times in Psalm 121 God is referred to by the personal name Yahweh, translated as Lord. Eight times he is described as the one who watches over or guards us.
Psalm 121 helps us not to make the mistake of thinking God’s interest in us is .
Satan’s lies of condemnation and doubt don’t stand up to God’s truth.
Believers Experience the Problems of Life.
The Difference Is:
- We know we are by God!
- We know God is us!
- We know we are by God and He guards from evil.